[blfs-dev] Udev vs Eudev page

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jun 7 07:48:55 PDT 2014

Em 07-06-2014 11:12, Pierre Labastie escreveu:
> Le 07/06/2014 14:48, Fernando de Oliveira a écrit :
>> Just remembered you have difficulties with my messages from the lists,
>> so forwarding privately.

Sorry, I did not notice that the page had been modified that way. It is
not correct, now.

> To avoid this, there should be no version at all in the "package information"
> paragraph. And the page should be rewritten to explicitly specify to use
> eudev-<your LFS version> (as it was when udev was separated from systemd).

You are correct, page should be as in the old days.

> Now, why do the developers discourage updating udev, really? I found this link:
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade
> They warn about issues, they do not really discourage...

I don't like very much to argue, but I replace "discourage" by "warn
about issues".

> So eventually, I still think the page should be made versioned, maybe with a
> note : "if you upgrade from a previous version of eudev, please have a look at
> <above link>".

Of course not.

Correct thing to do is reverting to the old stile page, as you first
suggested above.

I did not want to update eudev (so I didn't take it earlier), exactly
because of this problem. If you had not taken it, I was intending to ask
exactly what could be done to update, as I did not want to build over
previous one in my system.

And the manpages are also a problem, as a recent post in other of our
lists demonstrated. We do not need to install them, exactly because
Bruce thought that it would not be a different version, in "extras". I
believe he forgot all these issues, when editing from udev to eudev (as
you once recalled me) to systemd to eudev again.

OT: please, use cco with my email address, when posting to the list and
privately in one go. :-)

--
[]s,
Fernando