[blfs-dev] Udev vs Eudev page

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sat Jun 7 07:12:02 PDT 2014

Le 07/06/2014 14:48, Fernando de Oliveira a écrit :
> Just remembered you have difficulties with my messages from the lists,
> so forwarding privately.

(Thanks for your input, Fernando, and for posting privately. Posting to the
list again)

Well, so I have a problem:

(1) Let's say some user built LFS SVN just a few days ago with eudev 1.6,
which used udev version 212
(2) Pierre Labastie overzealously updates BLFS "udev-extra" to use eudev-1.7,
which is based on udev version 213.
(3) The user went on to BLFS, and is now in need of gudev. So he or she
rebuilds udev 213 over 212, which the developers discourage.

To avoid this, there should be no version at all in the "package information"
paragraph. And the page should be rewritten to explicitly specify to use
eudev-<your LFS version> (as it was when udev was separated from systemd).

Now, why do the developers discourage updating udev, really? I found this link:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade
They warn about issues, they do not really discourage...

So eventually, I still think the page should be made versioned, maybe with a
note : "if you upgrade from a previous version of eudev, please have a look at
<above link>".

Pierre