[blfs-dev] Udev vs Eudev page

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jun 7 04:34:17 PDT 2014

Em 07-06-2014 08:24, Pierre Labastie escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering whether we should change the title of the Udev-extra page. Now,
> we use eudev, which has a different version scheme from udev, so there could
> be a version number in the title (as for other packages).
> Also, we now reinstall the whole package.
> So the page layout could be much closer to the other book pages.
>
> For GCC (which adds "extras" as well), we just use GCC-<version>.
>
> What do you think?

My past experience about eudev is that the developers discouraged
updating it in a system. That is the reason for it not having a version:
you should install the same version as the one used when building LFS.
The page often induces confusions, doubtes for the users.

I asked Bruce to change eudev name for systemd, during the "hybrid"
time, but he kept the same name udev.

My particular point of view is that it should not be versioned, or would
confuse even more the users. Changing to eudev, I would not mind,
although most of the times that page is needed for providing "gudev",
but Bruce might have a reason to keep it "udev extras".

--
[]s,
Fernando