[blfs-dev] xscreensaver shutdown behavior

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 09:12:20 PDT 2014

Armin K. wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 08:01 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I usually start Xorg from the command line and log out to the command
>> line when done.  One thing I've noticed is a nasty message from
>> xscreensaver about how we've installed it incorrectly or that we are
>> running as root (suid) when we shouldn't be.
>>
>> I've traced that down to a function that tries to restart xscreensaver
>> when it gets a SIGHUP signal.  It is getting this either from the window
>> manager (in my case xfce) or the kernel.  But of course the restart
>> fails because Xorg has shut down the display.
>>
>> I have fixed this in my build script with the following:
>>
>> sed -i -e '/restart_process/i\    exit(0);' \
>>        -e '/restart_process/,+1d'           \
>>           driver/windows.c
>>
>> I don't think this is suitable for the book, but am putting it out here
>> so that searches may find it.
>>
>> The sed is actually interesting as it inserts a line and then deletes a
>> range (two lines) at the same point.  It requires gnu sed as it uses an
>> extension the to the posix standard.

> How do you start xscreensaver? I don't remember seeing such message
> here. I had "xscreensaver -no-splash" in my startup file and it worked
> just fine. Did you try changing xscreensaver binary permissions to 755
> instead of 4755?

I don't explicitly start it.  xfce does it for me.

Yes, I changed the permissions to 0755 and that changed the message, but
I still got it.

As I said above, I only get the message when xfce shuts down and sends a
SIGHUP signal to xscreensaver.  If there was a way to send a SIGTERM
instead, the problem probably would not exist.

My .xinitrc file contains only:

ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session xfce4-session