[blfs-dev] xscreensaver shutdown behavior

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 4 03:10:17 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:31:44AM +0200, Armin K. wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 08:01 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > I usually start Xorg from the command line and log out to the command
> > line when done.  One thing I've noticed is a nasty message from
> > xscreensaver about how we've installed it incorrectly or that we are
> > running as root (suid) when we shouldn't be.
> >
> > I've traced that down to a function that tries to restart xscreensaver
> > when it gets a SIGHUP signal.  It is getting this either from the window
> > manager (in my case xfce) or the kernel.  But of course the restart
> > fails because Xorg has shut down the display.
> >
> > I have fixed this in my build script with the following:
> >
> > sed -i -e '/restart_process/i\    exit(0);' \
> >        -e '/restart_process/,+1d'           \
> >            driver/windows.c
> >
> > I don't think this is suitable for the book, but am putting it out here
> > so that searches may find it.
> >
> > The sed is actually interesting as it inserts a line and then deletes a
> > range (two lines) at the same point.  It requires gnu sed as it uses an
> > extension the to the posix standard.
> >
> >   -- Bruce
>
> How do you start xscreensaver? I don't remember seeing such message
> here. I had "xscreensaver -no-splash" in my startup file and it worked
> just fine. Did you try changing xscreensaver binary permissions to 755
> instead of 4755?

 I start it with 'xscreensaver &' from my .xinitrc and I have
noticed these messages for some time.  Your suggestion of
changingthe perms fixes the bogus message, but I now see that it
cannot read /etc/passwd to check passwords.  That does not affect
me, but anybody using the screensaver to lock the screen would
presumably not like that.

 Thanks to you both for the suggestions, this has been one of those
"annoying, but mostly harmless" messages I never got around to
looking at in any detail.

ĸen