[blfs-dev] notification-daemon service file missing

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:29:34 PDT 2014

I ran into a problem with notifications not working:

(nm-applet:7993): nm-applet-WARNING **: Failed to show notification:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service
files

Upon investigation, it seems that notification-daemon upstream has
stopped putting the .service file in the tarball.

I went back to older version and found the file in the 0.4.0 tarball.  I
added the file

$ cat /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications
Exec=/usr/libexec/notification-daemon

and notifications started working.  Shall we add this to the book?