[blfs-dev] bash script

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Tue Jun 3 13:48:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, June 4, 2014 3:21 am, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 11:16:32AM +1200, Christopher Gregory wrote:
>

>> It is really weird that the times do vary between runs of the script.
>>

> On a non-realtime OS you should always expect _some_ variation.
> If you look in 'top', even on a system without 'cron' or 'at' there
> will be a lot of processes which might wake up.  Also memory pressure if
> you are doing other things during the build and disk-head movement (on
> rotating hard disks).
>
> For different toolchain versions there will also be differences
> (usually, newer means slower to compile, but with 4.9 I have seen
> shorter compiles in some packages.
>
> Also, after watching the frequencies of my four AMD cores during
> compilation with -j1 on a mostly idle system (I was worried about why the
> ondemand governor showed excessive variation in my SBUs for recent system
> builds) I realised that work is being shuffled around the cores.  On
> modern intel, the 'performance' governor has replaced 'ondemand' and works
> as well as ondemand used to (i.e. it quickly speeds up and quickly slows
> down when the load has gone).
>
> ĸen
> --
> Nanny Ogg usually went to bed early. After all, she was an old lady.
> Sometimes she went to bed as early as 6 a.m.

Hello Ken,

I envy your four AMD cores. :)  I am torturing this poor old laptop with
what I am doing.  Sure its a duel core, but the build time for bin-utils
was 269, which Bruce said is a bit slow.  I need to brush up on current
hardware changes.

I gave up with the race to getting new computers all the time, as it
really is a manufacturers trap.  Here in New Zealand we can be up to 6
months maybe even more behind the cutting edge.

I now need to get some good paying freelance IT work in to build up funds
enough to build another desktop system.  I would love to get a mother
board that supports two processors and get two of the top of the line
processors for it, and see just how fast the builds would go.

It takes up to 5 hours for me to compile webkit for example.  I usually
set that monster to compile before I go to sleep so that when I wake up,
all I need to do is type make install.

The linux operating system still has a long way to go with proper support
for new hardware and to actually have stores that sell computers with
linux pre-installed to introduce people to an alternative OS to gates
garbage constant alpha releases.

The windows os is so dammed easy and boring to install.  If you want
security with it, all you really need to do is put it behind a good
firewalled router and a dedicated linux/unix firewall.

For ultimate security, you never place a computer that has sensitive
information anyware near the internet.

Regards,

Christopher.