[blfs-dev] FireFox 29.0.1

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Sun Jun 1 18:54:46 PDT 2014

On Mon, June 2, 2014 12:10 pm, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 11:28:29AM +1200, Christopher Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hello Ken,
>>

>> One of the main sites for me is sourceforge.  I have been visiting it
>> regularly and with the adds that they have and the scripts that they
>> have, when scrolling down to actually get to one of the downloads, that
>> is when firefox crashed for me.  Sometimes it was crashing 4 times in a
>> row on the same file.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Christopher.
>>

> Hmm, I use adblock [ or similar - perhaps it is called adblock
> plus, I'm not on a desktop at the moment ] on all of my firefox
> installations.  I do not recall any recent firefox crashes at sourceforge
> (I always use system cairo), neither for direct BLFS
> links, nor for things which I have keyed in on the URL line of a new tab.
>
> Of course, _finding_ the file I want to download is still sometimes
> difficult.  And my experience is all on x86_64, on i686 I don't think I
> have tried downloading from sourceforge recently.
>
> ĸen
> --
> Nanny Ogg usually went to bed early. After all, she was an old lady.
> Sometimes she went to bed as early as 6 a.m.

Hello Ken,

I am using system cairo, and with adblock installed the crashes were
minimised somewhat but were still there.

I just want to be rid of the pesky crashes.  If this patch to cairo fully
solves it then I will be very happy.  So far, I have not had any crashes
when going to sourceforge.  I have been trying to see if it would crash by
going to the download page for libsid2 and scrolling down the page.  This
scrolling on sourceforge pages would produce the coredump and as I have
said, sometimes multiple times in a row.

I have now, once again installed adblock so will see if firefox crashes in
the next 24 hours or so.

I have never tried to use the bundeled version of cairo that comes with
firefox.

Regards,

Christopher.