[blfs-dev] ffmpeg-1.2.2 and libvpx-1.2.0

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 11:29:37 PDT 2013

Igor Živković wrote:
> On 2013-09-27 16:45, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Igor Živković wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got 755 for the include vpx directory and 640 for the files.
>>
>> The Makefile is doing a 'cp -p src dest' so it depends on the
>> permissions of the files when you extract them.
>>
>> See line 238 of the Makefile.
>
> Should we replace it with "install -m644" in the instructions?

We could, but it's only needed if the extraction from the tarball
results in incorrect permissions.  The Makefile is somewhat unusual.  I
would call what they are trying to do 'too cute'.

See what happens if you just remove the -p from the line.  What they
really seem to want is --preserve=timestamps, but I don't see why that's
needed either.  We definitely don't want to preserve ownership or
permissions.