[blfs-dev] postgresql, and policy

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 12 17:54:20 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 03:04:57PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Now proceed as a normal user (note different sed):
>
> sed -i -e '/DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR/s at tmp@run/postgresql@' \
>      src/include/pg_config_manual.h &&

 I saw your later explanation for the different sed, but I don't
believe in changing text or commands for the sake of it.

> We probably need a command to shut down the db server at this point.
> Possibly su - postgres -c '/usr/bin/dropdb test' &&
> killall postmaster
>
> I see that postmaster is deprecated in favor of postgres.

 I don't agree that shutting down the server is required - if you
install it, you are intending to use it.  You would have to run the
bootscript to restart it before you could take a look and play
around with it.  By the same token, having the test database there
gives soemthing on which to start trying out psql.

 For shutting down, in the bootscript we currently use:
su - postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl stop -m smart -D /srv/pgsql/data"
and if we were shutting down that looks a lot cleaner.

ĸen