[blfs-dev] totem

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:45:03 PDT 2013

There are only two packages left in the book that are marked at 7.3:
totem and seahorse.

I tried totem and got it to work, but it appears that the package
grillo, marked optional in the book, is really required.  From what I
can tell, this was true for 7.3 too.

The indication from running totem is that the grillo plugins are
required at runtime also.  The question at the moment is whether we
should archive totem or add grillo?

As an aside, I'd like to get the opinion of others whether the inability
to run an X application over ssh is a fundamental design flaw.  totem
runs directly on a system, but when I try over ssh, I get:

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
(totem:24208): Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'totem' received an X Window
System error.

and it exits.  Now totem is a movie player and sound doesn't come over
an ssh connection  -- perhaps it would over a vnc  -- but should the
program halt when run over ssh?