[blfs-dev] Trying to facilitate a 7.4 BLFS release, was Re: transmission and qt

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 8 15:29:07 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 12:34:22PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > Can I suggest that we consider a freeze for the 7.4 BLFS book (at
> > some point) even with tickets outstanding ?
>
> We can do that, but I'd want to minimize the freeze time due to the
> upstream churn rate.

 At the moment, we are down to four packages tagged for 7.3 :
./gnome/applications/seahorse.xml:    &lfs73_checked;
./gnome/applications/totem.xml:    &lfs73_checked;
./xsoft/office/gnumeric.xml:    &lfs73_checked;
./xsoft/other/transmission.xml:    &lfs73_checked;

 Of those, I could take a look at gnumeric (you've got the ticket) ?

 Seahorse and totem are beyond me : I never managed to get gnome's
keyring working properly in recent times on systems without gdm, and
totem's many deps include libpeas which _requires_ introspection.

 At the moment, I'm still trying to rip a classical CD in cdparanoia
on one of my machines (been running for about 66 hours so far,
reporting a lot of non-recoverable errors, but its been _nearly_
done for all of today).  Can't do much else until that completes.

 But if there is a release in sight, I suppose that I could attempt
to work out a minimal build order for totem on my LFS-7.4-rc1 32-bit
box.  Provided nothing *requires* pulse.  That build might include
seahorse, but if so I would have to label that as "built but not
tested".  Would that be helpful ?  It will probably take me some
hours of work to set up the scripts.

 I'm also going to suggest that you cut a 7.4-rc branch as soon as
everything has been tagged, then throw the release out to anybody
who cares but doesn't follow -dev, AND meanwhile we can continue
updating outstanding tickets in -svn once the branch exists, without
any intention of feeding those changes back into the branch (it's
just a snapshot of where we were).

 I've also using mdadm-3.3 on my server (without the static libs, so
just 'make' is good enough for my use case) but you've got the ticket
for that.  I don't see any obvious reason why 3.3 needs to go into
the 7.4 book, so just mentioning that I can do it for -svn in the
future if you wish.