[blfs-dev] Perl Modules - some no longer required ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 7 15:55:37 PDT 2013

 I've changed the indexing of all the perl modules which are or were
fully in the book from Other to Packages (although I think I said
'Programs' in the commit message : bad ken).  This matches the
python modules : versions don't show in longindex.html, but they are
in the first part of the index instead of right down at hte bottom.

 My general view of perl modules is that they are either a build
dependency or a runtime dependency for something else.  I use a few
which provide a program, but those aren't in the book.  So for
tagging I need to find what uses them.  The following are not yet
tagged -

Glib-1.280 : used by Xfconf

libwww-perl : used by wget

 So I can give those two a try.

 But for the remaining four, I do believe they are obsolete:

Crypt::SSLeay - was used by gnucash, which has been archived, and is
 used by Finance::Quote (see below)