[blfs-dev] gcc in blfs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:46:51 PDT 2013

I was testing building several gcc compilers in blfs and ran into some
issues.  Just looking at gcc, I'm getting the following:

                 === gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes            96351
# of unexpected failures        50
# of unexpected successes       39
# of expected failures          270
# of unsupported tests          1395

I've used the same instructions we used in LFS, but there I got:

       === gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes    93302
# of expected failures     261
# of unsupported tests     1368

To me there is an issue that the total number of tests is not the same.
  The source package is the same.  The difference is that I now have
additional packages installed like valgrind and gdb.

All the FAIL and XPASS entries are in one testsuite:

testsuite/gcc.dg/guality/guality.exp

The actual entries are only from a couple of programs:

XPASS example.c       3 times
XPASS guality.c       8 times
XPASS inline-params.c 5 times
XPASS pr41353-1.c     8 times
XPASS pr41447-1.c     8 times
XPASS pr41616-1.c     7 times

FAIL  pr43051-1.c     2 times
FAIL  pr54200.c       1 time
FAIL  pr54519-?.c    15 times
FAIL  vla-?.c        32 times

Looking at gcc's bugzilla, I see similar results from 4.8.1 from as late
as last May and even some for 4.8.2 (pre-release) from this month.

The question becomes how to address this in the book.  Any suggestions?