[blfs-dev] Plan for today

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 4 20:01:43 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 03:55:41PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >   I'm using dhcp as a client, but I haven't tested the server part.
> > I could tag it, but I'm reluctant until I know both parts work.
> > Will be starting a server build soon-ish, but that will take some
> > time and then I'll need to ensure that everything is still working.
> > That will pick up dhcp server, fetchmail, hdparm, mutt, procmail.
> >
> >   How long have I got to tag those ?
>
> I think a couple of weeks would work.

 I've booted 7.4 on the server a little while ago, but I've had to
drop back to 7.2 (which means I haven't been able to test if the
dhcp server is working).

 The good news: fetchmail, mutt, procmail and also mdadm-3.3 are all
working (the latter with just 'make' - 'everything' needs static
libs - I  can make those available if I get 7.4 working).  I'll get
to those (tagging / updating) if I do manage to successfully boot
7.4.

 The bad news: (and note that I'm using linux-3.10.10 on both 7.2
and 7.4, with the same config) -

1. rpc.nfsd fails to start, moans that version 4 requires TCP
protocol.  No idea what happened here - I don't use nfs v4, only v3.
In my 7.2 build I had a few other packages such as libnfsidmap which
I've now dropped from the client without any issues.  If I'm lucky,
google might help - but this is nfs, so it probably won't.  The program
is from nfs-utils, but one google result implies that rpcbind isn't
working (it's in /sbin where the bootscript expects it to be), and
appeared to start correctly.  This one is a show-stopper for me.

2. Sshd doesn't start - moans about /proc/oom_score_adj which seems
not to exist [ scrawled note among the several errors I got, might
not have copied all of it ] - perhaps ${pid} is somehow not set
although that line of the bootscript hasn't changed.  Anyway, I
commented that line - now I get "httpd: bad user name apache" - looks
as if my script has broken (the group got set, but not, apparently,
the user), but the gratuitous changes for apache since 7.2 already
broke my first attempt to build it (httpd.conf is in a different
directory).  Will have to fix whatever the issues are, otherwise I
won't be able to commit.

 Talking of committing, on this machine, using -j1, svn-1.8.3 with
its tests takes 69 minutes (and two of them fail).  I just hope it
works in reality.

 I've got some other issues to fix, but those are down to the various
changes to my scripts since 7.2 (using 'set -e' in particular turned
out to be a *very* bad move :)

ĸen