[blfs-dev] Mesa dependencies, was Re: cups and clang

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 4 15:28:32 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 05:09:40PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I'm not sure about the software rasterizers, but I can run glxgears on
> my systems fine.  On my development box, I use the nouveau driver
> (NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series]) and get about 460 FPS.  On my day-to-day
> system, I use the nvidia proprietary driver (GeForce 9800 GTX) and get
> about 8000 FPS.  Yes, that's 17x faster.
>
> It's really not a valid comparison though because the HW is so different.
>
>    -- Bruce
 If you use KMS, frame rates are tied to the screen refresh - I get
60 fps and that is perfectly normal.

 OTOH, on my intel machine some of the screensavers appear to run
very slowly (never managed to identify _which_ of them, but *not* the
GL_ savers that gave me a perms problem on my radeons until I changed
a udev rule : yes, I'm in the video group but for some reason the
r600 drivers don't load unless everyone can use /dev/dri, and on the
radeons there is no fallback so the message remains on screen).

 On intel the tiny message flashes up, then one of the sw rasterizers
starts up and runs slowly - so, I'll be adding llvm in my next intel
builds (once development for 7.5 has started and I have things to
test or review).

ĸen