[blfs-dev] Mesa dependencies, was Re: cups and clang

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:09:40 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:58:27AM +0000, David Brodie wrote:
>>
>> OK, so according to the Mesa web-site,
>> http://www.mesa3d.org/faq.html#part3, there are three s/w rasterizers,
>> viz. classic swrast, softpipe and llvmpipe, so strictly speaking, llvm
>> is only required for the llvmpipe s/w rasterizer, which is supposed to
>> be the fastest.
>>
>> David
>
>   Thanks - for some reason I can't get the idea of three competing sw
> rasterizers out of my mind : "But you promised _I_ could render
> glxgears today".  Think I need to either get out more, or else take
> more water with it 8-)
>
>   Anyway, llvmpipe means that llvm should be recommended.
>
>   I've added explanations for why we recommend these, downgraded the
> Warning to a Note, and added your link to mesa and Igor's to
> wikipedia.
>
>   I'm not usre how you manage to keep up to speed on all of this!

I'm not sure about the software rasterizers, but I can run glxgears on
my systems fine.  On my development box, I use the nouveau driver
(NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series]) and get about 460 FPS.  On my day-to-day
system, I use the nvidia proprietary driver (GeForce 9800 GTX) and get
about 8000 FPS.  Yes, that's 17x faster.

It's really not a valid comparison though because the HW is so different.