[blfs-dev] Mesa dependencies, was Re: cups and clang

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 4 14:32:48 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:58:27AM +0000, David Brodie wrote:

> OK, so according to the Mesa web-site,
> http://www.mesa3d.org/faq.html#part3, there are three s/w rasterizers,
> viz. classic swrast, softpipe and llvmpipe, so strictly speaking, llvm
> is only required for the llvmpipe s/w rasterizer, which is supposed to
> be the fastest.
>
> David

 Thanks - for some reason I can't get the idea of three competing sw
rasterizers out of my mind : "But you promised _I_ could render
glxgears today".  Think I need to either get out more, or else take
more water with it 8-)

 Anyway, llvmpipe means that llvm should be recommended.

 I've added explanations for why we recommend these, downgraded the
Warning to a Note, and added your link to mesa and Igor's to
wikipedia.

 I'm not usre how you manage to keep up to speed on all of this!

ĸen