[blfs-dev] [BLFS Trac] #4024: libnotify-0.7.6

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 09:11:04 PDT 2013

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> I needed to have notification-daemon running. Tested with lxde (not in
> the book), and with plain startedX (in the book). I may be blind, but
> cannot find notification-daemon in BLFS svn. Fortunately, I had it
> running in this host I am using to erite this, and searching through the
> applications starting in the session, found a line with the daemon.
> Where I have got it before, cannot remember. I thought that having
> notifications from firefox was enough to test notify-send.
>
> Another issue, when searching the problem in the web (and there are many
> references to problems similar to mine, with completely different
> reasons and solutions), I found at the page:
>
> <https://developer-next.gnome.org/libnotify/>

> Now, I do not know how to proceed:
>
> 1. include notification-daemon as required runtime dependency, perhaps
> not for DE that have a similar one running?
> 2. where is the page for notification-daemon?
> 3. do not know how to bring from archive the page for
> notification-daemon, if this is the case, nor how to add it back (Ken
> have patiently and kindly given me important guidelines about it, but I
> still have to study).

svn mv archive/gnome/notification-daemon.xml gnome/platform/
edit gnome/platform/platform.xml
make other changes as required (general.ent, changelog)
commit

> 4. should the book be updated to the development version, or is that
> info wrong, perhaps only appearing in the pt_BR page?

Generally, we want to use the version upstream considers stable, but
that's not always possible,  See, for instance, tidy, fontconfig, and
librsvg.