[blfs-dev] Mesa dependencies, was Re: cups and clang

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 2 09:10:26 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:17:02AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 02-09-2013 10:55, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> >
> >  Mesa recommends llvm because radeon 3D drivers need them.  For (at
> > least) intel it doesn't *need* llvm.
> >
> > ĸen
> >

> Thanks for this post, ĸen.
>
> Long ago, I have commented something like that. I use nvidia proprietary
> in one system (which I am using to write this), do not have radeon, and
> it does not seem I need installing llvm. I wonder if it would be good to
> add the word "only" just before "required", in the "Warning", with
> respect to radeon versus llvm, but perhaps it is necessary for something
> else and is left like that just in case.

 I'm in favour of rewording it.

 Actually, I'm not convinced that the frightening 'Warning' is
really necessary.  We could change 'Recommended' to something like:

libvdpau-x.y (to build VDPAU drivers), elfutils-x.y AND llvm-x.y
(both required for radeon 3D drivers)

 OR

we could move elfutils and llvm to Required with a note (both
are only needed for radeon 3D drivers)

 Perhaps we also need to draw people's attention to the explanation
of --with-gallium-drivers= before we show the configure command ?

ĸen