[blfs-dev] cups and clang

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 08:01:21 PDT 2013

John Burrell wrote:
>> I just ran into a minor problem building cups.  It appears that it
>> prefers clang if it's available, but it doesn't build properly.  There
>> is a linking problem -- something about -fPIC.
>>
>> The issue is easy enough to solve.  I just renamed /usr/bin/clang and
>> restarted.  The question is whether a note about this in the book is
>> warranted?
>
> Renaming files is a bit messy. A cleaner solution is to do:
>
> CC=gcc CXX=G++ ./confgure ...

I agree that this is a better solution for the book if it works.  There
is some internal configure code that searches for clang.  If is does
work, I'm not sure CXX is required for cups.  I quick look does not show
any c++ or cpp files.

> A note in the book to this effect would be useful.
>
> I also ran into a similar problem when compiling mysql but I haven't
> solved that yet. I tried the mysql alternative, mariadb, but that failed
> with the bison-3 problem and I haven't solved that one either.

When we get some time I'd like to add mariadb.  I'd also like to then
drop mysql, but that requires a bit more discussion.