[blfs-dev] cups and clang

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 2 06:55:50 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:46:29AM +0200, Igor Živković wrote:
> On 2013-09-02 03:03, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > I just ran into a minor problem building cups.  It appears that it
> > prefers clang if it's available, but it doesn't build properly.  There
> > is a linking problem -- something about -fPIC.
> >
> > The issue is easy enough to solve.  I just renamed /usr/bin/clang and
> > restarted.  The question is whether a note about this in the book is
> > warranted?
>
> Yes, most people will probably have LLVM installed because it's
> recommended for MesaLib.

 The problem only occurs if people build clang (I've just put llvm on
my PATH and confirmed I can still build cups).

 Somebody saw this on -support the other week.  I think the fix was to
use "CC=gcc CXX=g++" in front of configure.

 Mesa recommends llvm because radeon 3D drivers need them.  For (at
least) intel it doesn't *need* llvm.

ĸen