[blfs-dev] libdrm

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 1 16:31:05 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 04:45:29PM +0200, Igor Živković wrote:
>> Is there any reason why libdrm is in the general libraries section?
>I'd
>> propose to move it to X installation before MesaLib or at very least
>> X libraries section since it depends on X libraries. What do you
>think?
>>
> I think it's there because of history.  I can see it in the 6.2.0
>version of the book in the museum.  We still had "traditional" X
>(i.e. monolithic) in both Xorg and XFree86 flavours, as well as
>Modular X (7.1).  At that time, Mesa was listed among the
>X libraries (because it required libraries from Xorg.  No idea why
>libdrm went into general libraries.
>
> Personally, I think moving it to chapter 24 makes a lot of sense -
>the only reason I can see for installing libdrm is to build Xorg.

History is right, despite the seemingly logical order, Xorg packages are from X.org and the libdrm package is from freedesktop.org. Like Mesa, it isn't part of core X. We already make a few exceptions to the core for xclock, twm, and xinit (which could probably go at this point), but those are all formerly a part of the distribution.

-- DJ