[blfs-dev] libdrm

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 1 08:51:03 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 04:45:29PM +0200, Igor Živković wrote:
> Is there any reason why libdrm is in the general libraries section? I'd
> propose to move it to X installation before MesaLib or at very least to
> X libraries section since it depends on X libraries. What do you think?

 I think it's there because of history.  I can see it in the 6.2.0
version of the book in the museum.  We still had "traditional" X
(i.e. monolithic) in both Xorg and XFree86 flavours, as well as
Modular X (7.1).  At that time, Mesa was listed among the
X libraries (because it required libraries from Xorg.  No idea why
libdrm went into general libraries.

 Personally, I think moving it to chapter 24 makes a lot of sense -
the only reason I can see for installing libdrm is to build Xorg.
But that may impact Bruce's scripts to check for newer versions.

ĸen