[blfs-dev] Git-1.8.2 config file

John Burrell john_burrell at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:59:56 PDT 2013

This line in git-1.8.2:

git config --system http.sslCAPath /etc/ssl/certs

tries to write to /usr/etc/gitconfig which, of course, doesn't exist, or should I say,
there is nothing that has created /usr/etc on my system.

There are a number of ways around this.

1) install /usr/etc/gitconfig before running the git config command

2) Don't use --system and create a .git/config file.

3) Use --global and git config will write to ~/.gitconfig

What I decided to do was the following:

git config --file /etc/gitconfig http.sslCAPath /etc/ssl/certs

and then:

cat > /etc/profile.d/git.sh << "EOF"
export GIT_CONFIG=/etc/gitconfig
EOF

to set up the GIT_CONFIG env variable.

I'm sure there are more options but I didn't investigate any further.

Regards

jb.