[blfs-dev] NetworkManager and systemd

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Thu Mar 28 07:32:48 PDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 12:24 AM, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
>> I was thinking about starting a Systemd branch for BLFS, but I am unable
>> to maintain it alone. GNOME 3.8 was released about a hour ago and it
>> uses Systemd (I have no ConsoleKit on my system) for everything. It
>> could possibly use ConsoleKit for most stuff but I wouldn't bother.
>
> Is it necessary to start a separate branch? We could just provide alternate
> instructions for people using systemd...

Yes, it would be necesary. It's hard to maintain book for both branches.
I did some initial checks for available initscripts and added some units
to blfs-bootscripts tarball. But it would be next to impossible to make
sure everything works with both branches, especially since systemd
branch adds new packages which are not present in LFS and deps can lead
to confusion, rebuild of packages and possible breakages (attr and acl
reinstall can break their shared libraries - doh). The other thing that
would bother me is 3 GUdev instructions (we already provide two packages
- UDEV and UDEV Extras for that). Another reason is the GNOME. It can't
work (correctly) without Systemd starting with 3.8. It is possible, but
since I am systemd user, I wouldn't go all the trouble to make it work.
That's why I won't be updating GNOME to 3.8 in BLFS. I did however build
it on my system and it works just great.

>> Nothing against. While you are at it, can you check if KDELIBS works
>> with UDisks2? It appears to work here. Use -DWITH_SOLID_UDISKS2=ON CMake
>> option.
>
> It seems to work here (i.e. I can mount usb drives without problems), but I
> noticed this in my .xsession-errors file:
> "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HTS547550A9E384_J112005EERZAZA" :
> property "Drive" does not exist
> "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Slimtype_DVD_A__DS8A8SH_3208583_626151402935"
> : property "Drive" does not exist
> "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HTS547550A9E384_J112005EERZAZA" :
> property "DeviceNumber" does not exist
> "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HTS547550A9E384_J112005EERZAZA" :
> property "Device" does not exist
>
> I think we can remove udisks1 from blfs, since it was only kdelibs that
> depended on it.
>
> - Ragnar

No, not quite. Xfce4-Power-Manager uses udisks1 for disk power
management. It's a dep that needs to be added there.