[blfs-dev] NetworkManager and systemd

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Wed Mar 27 13:06:49 PDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 08:58 PM, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> After using wicd for a long time, due to not being able to get NetworkManager
> to function on lfs a while back, I decided to give NM another chance on a
> systemd and KDE system.
>
> First, if not building with iptables, a --without-iptables switch is needed to
> successfully configure the package. This should be added to the blfs command
> explanations. Also, --with-session-tracking=systemd is needed if using
> loginctl instead of consolekit for session tracking.

Since Iptables is recommended and we assume that recommended
dependencies are installed, I'm against disabling it by default. An
explanation when to use the switch is okay.

You might also want to add --with-suspend-resume=systemd so it will use
Systemd instead of UPower for suspend/resume tracking. Both can be added
to the command explanations if you desire. We don't use Systemd by
default just yet.

I was thinking about starting a Systemd branch for BLFS, but I am unable
to maintain it alone. GNOME 3.8 was released about a hour ago and it
uses Systemd (I have no ConsoleKit on my system) for everything. It
could possibly use ConsoleKit for most stuff but I wouldn't bother.

> You might also want to use the --with-systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system
> switch. I think three different locations (/etc/systemd/system,
> /lib/systemd/system and /usr/lib/systemd/system)  for service files is too
> much to keep track of, so I tend to install them in /lib instead of /usr/lib.

On my system everything goes to /lib/systemd/system. /etc/systemd/system
is for custom files, ie not belonging to any package. By default,
systemctl enable will symlink them to
/etc/systemd/system/whatever.target.wants.

> I found that to get NM working I needed to install a wpa_supplicant.service
> file for systemd. This file is not installed by the current blfs
> wpa_supplicant instructions, but the file can be found in the
> wpa_supplicant/systemd folder. This should be added to blfs.

An additional optional block can't hurt.

> After this, all I needed was to install the networkmanagement package for kde
> to get a nice gui and NM can manage my network connections automatically.

I have that package and it's nice one. I'd like to see it in the book.

> I will make the mentioned modifications to blfs, if nobody objects...
>
> -Ragnar-

Nothing against. While you are at it, can you check if KDELIBS works
with UDisks2? It appears to work here. Use -DWITH_SOLID_UDISKS2=ON CMake
option.