[blfs-dev] NetworkManager and systemd

Ragnar Thomsen rthomsen6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:58:45 PDT 2013

After using wicd for a long time, due to not being able to get NetworkManager
to function on lfs a while back, I decided to give NM another chance on a
systemd and KDE system.

First, if not building with iptables, a --without-iptables switch is needed to
successfully configure the package. This should be added to the blfs command
explanations. Also, --with-session-tracking=systemd is needed if using
loginctl instead of consolekit for session tracking.

You might also want to use the --with-systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system
switch. I think three different locations (/etc/systemd/system,
/lib/systemd/system and /usr/lib/systemd/system)  for service files is too
much to keep track of, so I tend to install them in /lib instead of /usr/lib.

I found that to get NM working I needed to install a wpa_supplicant.service
file for systemd. This file is not installed by the current blfs
wpa_supplicant instructions, but the file can be found in the
wpa_supplicant/systemd folder. This should be added to blfs.

After this, all I needed was to install the networkmanagement package for kde
to get a nice gui and NM can manage my network connections automatically.

I will make the mentioned modifications to blfs, if nobody objects...

-Ragnar-