[blfs-dev] [blfs-support] About audacious-plugins-3.3.3-libcdio_v0.90_fixes-1.patch

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 27 09:45:51 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 11:20:30AM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Thanos Baloukas wrote these words on 03/03/13 02:18 CST:
> > On 03/03/2013 02:14 AM, Thanos Baloukas wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> IIRC, the last time I installed audacious-plugins-3.3.3, the dependency
> >> on libcdio-0.83
> >> was enough for audacious to be able to play music CDs. Now on another
> >> system with libcdio-0.90, configure reported that the cdaudio-ng plugin
> >> would not be built because I lacked libcdio_cdda 0.70 or newer. After a
> >> research I found that I had to install
> >> libcdio-paranoia-10.2+0.90 which split from libcdio, if I got it right.
> >> I installed it,
> >> applied the patch, and make failed on src/cdaudio-ng/cdaudio-ng.c
> >> because it couldn't find 'cdio/paranoia/cdda.h'. On my system this file
> >> was installed
> >> from libcdio-paranoia-10.2+0.90 in /usr/include/cdio and not in
> >> /usr/include/cdio/paranoia. Looking at the patch I saw that it had:
>
> I believe it was me who introduced the patch. And I may have goofed because
> I recall symlinking the paranoia headers before/after creating the patch. I
> cannot recall the exact specifics, but I will revisit the instructions and
> make it right.

 Just some comment on this - I think upstream (audacious) have been
fooled into accepting a patch for a distro change!  I couldn't look
at the arch PKGBUILD for libcdio-paranoia last night (one of their
servers was unresponsive), but certainly libcdio-paranoia does
normally install the headers in /usr/include/cdio.

 In my case,
cd /usr/include/cdio
ln -sv . paranoia

 allowed audacious-plugins to build the cdaudio-ng plugin.  I'll bet
Randy had a cleaner or less-widespread version :)

 Whatever, audacious-plugins for 3.3.4 and 3.4-rc are presumably
doing this so we'll have to live with it.

 For the book these are optional dependencies so we wouldn't normally
add their instructions.  BUT - the dependency is now libcdio-paranoia
(which requires libcdio - the paranoia items used to be part of
libcdio but were separated) and in addition the headers need to be
moved or symlinked.  I suppose we could change the optional deps to
something like

 ... LIRC, libcdio-paranoia (requires libcdio, and the paranoia
headers need to be symlinked blah blah blah after install), libcddb,

 but that text is getting messy - that isn't an ideal place to add
build/install instructions.  Replace the blahs with whatever
instructions yo prefer!

 I'm aware that (at least) mplayer has libcdio as an optional input
driver, I suspect it too will need libcdio-paranoia.  But mplayer
has never seemed a convenient way of playing CDs to me, so I don't
know.