[blfs-dev] Xorg for LFS-7.3 [solved]

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:57:18 PST 2013

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I do have one question about the kernel.  During boot, it switches to a
> framebuffer device.  I'd prefer that it not do that and just stay in the
> startup 80x25 character text screen.
>
> I can disable the framebuffer by passing 'nomodeset' on the kernel
> command line, but then I cannot enter X and I don't have /dev/fb0.  Does
> anyone know how to disable the framebuffer switch for just the kernel
> boot sequence?  Searching Google gives a lot of hits for grub, but
> that's not the problem.

With a little more research, I figured this out.  First, I needed to add
to the kernel command line video=640x480 at 75.

I got the acceptable resolutions from Xorg.0.log:

(II) NOUVEAU(0): Supported established timings:
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 720x400 at 70Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 640x480 at 60Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 640x480 at 75Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 800x600 at 60Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 800x600 at 75Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 1024x768 at 60Hz
(II) NOUVEAU(0): 1024x768 at 75Hz

Secondly, I disabled the logo in the kernel.  It just takes up too much
space:

# CONFIG_LOGO is not set

I also tried to set CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA, but that interfered with the
NOUVEAU driver and I could not enter X with that set.  I do have:

CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=3
CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT=y