[blfs-dev] Xorg for LFS-7.3

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 18:45:09 PST 2013

I just finished building Xorg for LFS-7.3 and it seems to be OK so far.
  I am using the nouveau drivers and that loads fine.  I only built the
evdev, vesa, and nouveau drivers, but I suspect the others will build
fine and run with the appropriate hardware.

LFS-7.3 tags for other drivers have not been updated, so if you test one
and it works OK, let me know and I'll fix that.

I do have one question about the kernel.  During boot, it switches to a
framebuffer device.  I'd prefer that it not do that and just stay in the
startup 80x25 character text screen.

I can disable the framebuffer by passing 'nomodeset' on the kernel
command line, but then I cannot enter X and I don't have /dev/fb0.  Does
anyone know how to disable the framebuffer switch for just the kernel
boot sequence?  Searching Google gives a lot of hits for grub, but
that's not the problem.