[blfs-dev] OpenSSH

Treah Blade treah.blade at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:37:13 PST 2013

Hello guys thought I would share this little tidbit of information
that I happened across. I apologize if someone else has mentioned it
already. Anyway I was building Wget and used the option to include
openSSL and it reported that that library was not there. Well that was
odd to me because I had installed openSSH and it requires that its
there ( according to the book ). So I dug around in my system and
noticed that indeed the library was not there so I attempted to build
openSSH again and to my surprise it configures correctly without issue
and builds without issue even though openSSL is not installed on the
system. OpenSSH must have some internal version of the openSSH library
thats used. I reinstalled openSSL and rebuilt openSSH thinking that it
would find the library and use it but from the configure nothing
changes as far as I can tell.

So long story short does openSSH even use the openSSL library anymore
at all and uses an internal copy, or does it only use an internal one
when it does not find openSSL on the system?

Again sorry if this has been asked before.