[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] [BLFS Trac] #3821: Xorg-7.7 Testing and Configuration: Broken Links

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 28 16:14:16 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 05:21:09PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Ken, moving to blfs-dev for discussion.
>
> I like the pdf files for seeing how the fonts are actually rendered.
> Since I'm mono-lingual, I generally don't use a lot of different fonts.
>   Here is what I use:
>
> xfce: sans
> konsole: DejaVu Sans Mono
> seamonkey:
>    proportional: serif
>    serif       : luxi serif
>    sans-serif  : luxi serif
>    cursive     : luxi serif
>    fantasy     : luxi serif
>    monospace   : DejaVu Sans Mono
>
> That's pretty boring, but it seems to work for me.

 Ah, I'd forgotten about luxi - used to use it years ago.  If you
don't have bitstream-vera (and we don't mention it AFAICS), then
sans in xfce will be DejaVu Sans.

 I dislike seeing squares with dots (actually the code number in hex)
if I don't have a glyph.  And I like to look at current languages -
occasionally I even kid myself I understand a few words - and when I
look at language articles on wikipedia I often find IPA phonetic
symbols.  For quite a long time I've been able to render almost
everything I found, but when I moved to libreoffice I added its
fonts and realised that I had far too many fonts to easily select
from them, and not all of them seemed necessary or useful.

 For "use" I typically only select one sans or one serif font and
rely on fontconfig finding any missing glyphs from the other fonts I
have installed.  That was one of the problems with abiword, it
didn't use fontconfig.  Rxvt-unicode doesn't use fontconfig, but can
have several fonts listed in .Xresources, even if they aren't all
installed!

 This analysis of coverage was initially going to be "what do we
need to write a language".  But that's a bit of an unreachable goal,
so many languages / dialects, and it certainly isn't manageable for
CJK.  It's also one of the reasons I stopped editing in BLFS - no
time :)

 The coverage of DejaVu (and freefont for some non-latin scripts)
increased a lot since I last looked at them.  Some things I used to
install, such as Charis-SIL (serif, but fallback for phonetics on
web pages) no longer provide  anything I want.

 My latest builds have far fewer fonts, and along the way I've found
some useful perl (for ttf, but unfortunately not for the few ttc
collections) and written some bash to get a list of the codepoints.

 My aim now is to provide examples of everything I've looked at -
"latin" glyphs in unicode are a bit of a mess, with several useful
things in the IPA section and others scattered all over, mixed in
with things that almost nobody will ever encounter.

 Unfortunately, these rare things are mostly only pastable (in
rxvt-unicode I can key-by-number, ISO-14755 ISTR, but writer doesn't
support that), so assembling the files showing what is present takes
a long time.

 I'd hoped to suggest that we drop the traditional xorg fonts, or
limit to them to the standard 75/100 dpi, but recent tests in xterm
show that is a bad idea.

 For CJK (han ideograms - chinese in both forms, japanese, korean) -
I think we overegg the pudding : no problem with including them all,
but for many people the variants will be redundant.  But my general
suggestions will only come when I've finished the analysis, the
ticket prompted me to speak up and propose fixing the link to
firefly, pointing to debian for arphic (probably with a list of
which are traditional and which simplified), and correcting the
directory name.

ĸen