[blfs-dev] Xulrunner-18.0.1 installed files ownership

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 24 16:04:40 PST 2013

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 02/24/13 17:38 CST:
> Randy, I 'm not 100% sure the problem is in the tarball.  Many times I'll do
>
> make DESTDIR=/tmp/pkgname install
>
> and the user will be me, not root.

If you did that as the root user, then the package is broken. I see it very,
very, rarely. Berkeley DB comes to mind. However, my build script for
xulrunner (from a year and a half ago) contains commands to chown files.
Just like we are seeing now. Trust me, I performed 'make install' as the
root user and the installed files have ownership of the user that performed
the build. To me, this is broken behavior.

> Copied file ownership depend on the
> options.  For instance 'cp -a source dest' preserves the owner.  Yes, I
> know that you know that, but generally my techniques are slightly
> different.  I'll do an unprivileged 'make install', check things out and
> then a 'sudo make install'.  My latest ff install (October) installed as
> root.

After I do a 'make install DESTDIR=${PWD}/destdir' as an unprivileged user
(for packages I am unfamiliar with), I delete the DESTDIR directory and
then perform my installs as such:

sudo
date >install_start.ts
make install DESTDIR=${PWD}/destdir >install.log 2>&1
date >install_stop.ts
tail -20 install.log

After all ancillary installation tasks are done, I do 'exit' to return to
the unprivileged user. For all practical purposes, I perform 'make install'
as the root user. In fact, my scripts do 'chown -R rml:install destdir' as
the root user before I exit the sudo shell so that the unprivileged user
can clean up.

There are very few packages that install files with ownership other than
root:root when you run 'make install' as the root user. Firefox (xulrunner)
is one of the few. That is why I say it is an upstream issue. I have not
examined the Makefiles, as it doesn't matter, the files still are installed
with bad ownership and should be fixed as a post-installation task.

I do wonder; however, how your Firefox installation ended up with root:root
ownership. Mine doesn't, the original poster's doesn't and my build script
shows that I needed to change ownership before my latest installation.

It would be interesting to see other's findings for the installed xulrunner
files.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
17:46:00 up 81 days, 3:45, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00