[blfs-dev] Xulrunner-18.0.1 installed files ownership

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 15:38:24 PST 2013

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> CC'd to BLFS-Dev
>
> On 2/24/2013 2:39 PM, Thanos Baloukas wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I installed Xulrunner-18.0.1/Firefox-18.0.1 today.
>> Xulrunner installed most directories and files under
>> unprivileged user's ownership. If no one else has noticed that,
>> then I must have done something wrong.
>
> You did nothing wrong. I just installed xulrunner (using the
> firefox-19.0 tarball) to DESTDIR and I see the same thing:
>
> root at rmlinux: /home/rml/build/mozilla-release > find destdir ! -user root|wc -l
> 3983
> root at rmlinux: /home/rml/build/mozilla-release > find destdir|wc -l
> 4010
>
> I will include commands to change ownership to root:root when I
> update the book to the 19.0 version.

Randy, I 'm not 100% sure the problem is in the tarball.  Many times I'll do

make DESTDIR=/tmp/pkgname install

and the user will be me, not root.  Copied file ownership depend on the
options.  For instance 'cp -a source dest' preserves the owner.  Yes, I
know that you know that, but generally my techniques are slightly
different.  I'll do an unprivileged 'make install', check things out and
then a 'sudo make install'.  My latest ff install (October) installed as
root.