[blfs-dev] Large commit

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:05:12 PST 2013

Matt Burgess wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 21:45 +0100, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>
>> If you use quilt, it usually signals spaces at the end of lines when
>> doing 'quilt refresh'.
>
> Indeed, it does.  However, that assumes that a) one is using quilt and
> b) your patch touches a file that contains the extra spaces.
>
> If we want to be robust in preventing them coming back in to the
> sources, we could implement a pre-commit hook that will do that.
>
> I'm not sure we want to be that strict; I don't mind running the
> relevant sed over the LFS stuff every now and again and fix any
> resulting transgressions.

The bigger problem to me is embedded tabs, but that's not been a problem
for quite some time.  As far as the xml goes, I still don't see much of
a problem with trailing spaces other than inside <screen> sections and
even then, only when the the line terminates with a backslash.

I see no issue with running an occasional cleanup script to remove all
trailing spaces.