[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 10 17:47:12 PST 2013


On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:05:27PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 02:53:31PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> > 
> > I have version 287 installed and have the exact same error in my configure
> > logs.
> > 
>  Thanks.  If I manage to fix it, I'll commit the change.  At the
> moment, using LIBS= and vanilla ./configure (with no options) seems
> to work even on the version currently in the book, I just need to
> find out which other setting prevents it compiling.
> 
 Well, I found what I was doing wrong in configure [
LDFLAGS=-lfontfonfig ] : unclear why that caused the test for a
working C compiler to fail, but I've given up caring.

 Unfortunately, the resulting program is no different.  I then went
back and looked at my original DESTDIR build of xterm, and it _was_
linked to libfontconfig.  So, the error message in config.log might
just be a red herring.  If I pass -fa "DejaVuSans Mono" when invoking
xterm, only that font is used, which is mostly ok for what I use,
but disappointing.

 But even with the face set for "DejaVu Sans Mono" in both the app
default and .Xresources, and after a fresh 'startx', if I invoke it
without -fa it still comes up with what is presumably Vera.  In
neither case does it seem to use fontconfig for glyphs which are
missing in the current font, which is the behaviour I was expecting
(and one of the reasons I dropped abiword from my own builds).

 My current view on xterm is "if you use it, best to get a better
term, and in the meantime use at least the Fixed legacy font".

ĸen
-- 
das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce



More information about the blfs-dev mailing list