[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 10 12:53:21 PST 2013


On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 09:25:21PM +0100, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:
> >On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:04:29 +0000
> >Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:17:58PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >   Oh well,
> > > perhaps (some) legacy fonts need to stay in the book for xterm.
> > > [sigh/].
> > > 
> >  Actually, it looks like a configure problem in xterm, prompted by a
> > toolchain change in the last couple of years :
> > 
> > [snip]
> > 
> >  that results in configure reporting:
> > checking for usable Xft/fontconfig package... no
> > 
> > [snip]
> > 
> >  If anyone has logs from configuring xterm-279 I would be interested
> > in whether they see the failure to find a usable Xft/fontconfig.
> 
> I use xterm-276 and I do not see a failure for Xft/fontconfig.
> 
> As for the configuration flags, apart from a bunch of them dealing with
> instalation directories, I used --enable-shared,
> --disable-static, --enable-luit, and --with-wide-chars.
> 
> I just ran a test build with xterm-289 and fount that it both finds
> Xft/fontconfig and, when built and ran, displays the string from the
> first mail of this thread.
> 
> My build system is from the LFS-6.2 era, while the versions of software
> packages have been updated. Fontdir for the X system
> is /usr/share/fonts.

 The toolchain change was somewhere around LFS-7.0, or perhaps 6.8.
I think it was a binutils change - certainly it looks like binutils
changed to prompt for what ought to be linked in, but perhaps a
glibc or gcc change provoked the problem.  We've had a number of
BLFS and other packages that needed similar changes.

ĸen
-- 
das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce



More information about the blfs-dev mailing list