[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 12:25:21 PST 2013

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:04:29 +0000
>Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:17:58PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >   Oh well,
> > perhaps (some) legacy fonts need to stay in the book for xterm.
> > [sigh/].
> >
>  Actually, it looks like a configure problem in xterm, prompted by a
> toolchain change in the last couple of years :
>
> [snip]
>
>  that results in configure reporting:
> checking for usable Xft/fontconfig package... no
>
> [snip]
>
>  If anyone has logs from configuring xterm-279 I would be interested
> in whether they see the failure to find a usable Xft/fontconfig.

I use xterm-276 and I do not see a failure for Xft/fontconfig.

As for the configuration flags, apart from a bunch of them dealing with
instalation directories, I used --enable-shared,
--disable-static, --enable-luit, and --with-wide-chars.

I just ran a test build with xterm-289 and fount that it both finds
Xft/fontconfig and, when built and ran, displays the string from the
first mail of this thread.

My build system is from the LFS-6.2 era, while the versions of software
packages have been updated. Fontdir for the X system
is /usr/share/fonts.

Aaaand.. that's about as much information as I can think of to provide.
If any more is required, I'm here.

--
You don't need an AI for a robot uprising.
Humans will do just fine.