[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 10 09:17:58 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:08:56PM +0100, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:
> >On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 02:29:58 +0000
> >Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >  So, does xterm handle these glyphs in UTF-8 for anyone ?  If so,
> > what do you have in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm or ~/.Xresources ?
>
> I can confirm that XTerm renders the string correctly for me.
>
> Since I have no idea how does one configure xterm, I have attached the
> entire /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm file to this mail. I have no
> ~/.Xresources. I am also copy-pasting the output of the env command.

 Thanks, but it looks as if you are using the legacy fonts.  The
current BLFS page for xterm shows how to set up the resources to use
TTFs.  If anyone tries that for a font that has spaces in its name,
e.g. "DejaVu Sans Mono" the name needs double quotes.  Oh well,
perhaps (some) legacy fonts need to stay in the book for xterm.
[sigh/].

 Sad, because if I open Markus Kuhn's UTF-8-demo.txt in firefox (no
legacy fonts installed at all) it renders all the glyphs there fine
(need to zoom in a _lot_ to read the braille symbols).  I haven't
quite managed that in rxvt-unicode at the moment (a few of the
amharic glyphs are missing - should just be a case of adding yet
another font to urxvt's Xresources - everything else works there).

ĸen