[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 10 09:06:37 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:09:55PM +0100, Pierre Labastie wrote:

> OTH, I just see that comment in the file:
> ! xterm can switch at runtime between bitmap (default) and TrueType fonts.
> ! The "faceSize" resource controls the size of the latter.  However, it was
> ! originally given with a size that makes the two types of fonts different
> ! sizes.  Uncomment this line to use the same size as "fixed".
> !*faceSize: 8
>
> Of course, all I said in the last message applies to the default "bitmap"
> fonts. If you have set the fonts to Truetype, that might be that makes the
> difference.
>
> Regards
> Pierre

 Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I ignore all the legacy fonts (you
might prefer to call them "traditional").  The faceSize setting
definitely works [ 12 for me - if I was still using the legacy fonts
I would be using the 100dpi not the 75dpi ].

 So, it sounds as if xterm _does_ require the legacy fonts, but only
for some glyphs.  I think I moved to all-truetype before I changed
to urxvt, but maybe I'm wrong.  Or maybe I was mostly trying to use
common W. European accents in those days.

ĸen