[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Feb 10 03:58:56 PST 2013


Le 10/02/2013 03:29, Ken Moffat a écrit :
>   In connection with reviewing the TrueType fonts I build, I was
> going to ask if there was a reason why the book still installs
> legacy xorg fonts.  I've only used TTF/OTF fonts for several years,
> and the only issue I've noticed is that xcalc can't display a square
> root sign on the appropriate keycap.  But before asking, I thought I
> ought to take a look at xterm (usually, I use rxvt-unicode).  When I
> built that - by the book, apart from putting it /usr/local but with
> luit in /usr - I got unpleasant results :
>
>   I typed #čőäůåēũñâòğçǫŀıḅ which for anyone missing some glyphs is
> hash, c-caron, o-doubleacute, a-diaeresis, u-abovering, a-abovering,
> e-macron, u-tilde, n-tilde, a-circumflex, o-grave, g-breve,
> c-cedilla, o-ogonek, l-with-middle-dot, dotless-i, b-with-belowdot.
>
>   Apart from the hash, those are regular european latin letters [ ok,
> I'll grant you that u-tilde is obsolete ].  But the following were
> replaced in xterm by a square indicating that the glyph did not exist:
>
> o-doubleacute u-abovering e-macron u-tilde o-ogonek l-with-middle-dot
> b-with-belowdot.  Oddly, c-caron and g-breve _are_ rendered so it
> isn't a straight "only support latin-1" issue.
>
>   If I paste that line from my history into urxvt or libreoffice
> writer, it all renders fine.  Changing the VT100*faceName line in
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm from Monospace to "DejaVu Sans Mono" and
> "FreeMono" did not help.  According to gucharmap, all of those
> glyphs are in DejaVu Sans Mono.
>
>   Typing random cyrillic and greek letters also produced empty
> squares.
>
>   So, does xterm handle these glyphs in UTF-8 for anyone ?  If so,
> what do you have in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm or ~/.Xresources ?
> I've got the following relevant items in the environment:
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> XTERM_LOCALE=en_GB.UTF-8
> XTERM_VERSION=XTerm(279)
>
> ĸen
Hi Ken,

I tried your line of glyphs on an xterm under icewm all built as per the 
book (december version), and it renders OK.

The only difference I see is that I have LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8.

I also tried with an xterm under KDE on a Debian system and it also 
renders fine.

On Debian, the last four lines of /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm are 
commented out (including the faceName one), so those lines might not be 
the ones you want to modify.

On both systems, the fonts referenced in the *VT100.utf8fonts.font? 
lines are installed in /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc. Maybe you are missing 
one of those (or you need to run mkfontdir or so).
To be precise, from /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/fonts.dir :
5x8.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-c-50-iso10646-1
6x13.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1
7x14.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1
8x13.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1
9x18.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1
10x20.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1
I do not see anything else I can say to help.

Good luck,
Pierre



More information about the blfs-dev mailing list