[blfs-dev] Does xterm work for UTF-8 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 9 18:29:58 PST 2013

 In connection with reviewing the TrueType fonts I build, I was
going to ask if there was a reason why the book still installs
legacy xorg fonts.  I've only used TTF/OTF fonts for several years,
and the only issue I've noticed is that xcalc can't display a square
root sign on the appropriate keycap.  But before asking, I thought I
ought to take a look at xterm (usually, I use rxvt-unicode).  When I
built that - by the book, apart from putting it /usr/local but with
luit in /usr - I got unpleasant results :

 I typed #čőäůåēũñâòğçǫŀıḅ which for anyone missing some glyphs is
hash, c-caron, o-doubleacute, a-diaeresis, u-abovering, a-abovering,
e-macron, u-tilde, n-tilde, a-circumflex, o-grave, g-breve,
c-cedilla, o-ogonek, l-with-middle-dot, dotless-i, b-with-belowdot.

 Apart from the hash, those are regular european latin letters [ ok,
I'll grant you that u-tilde is obsolete ].  But the following were
replaced in xterm by a square indicating that the glyph did not exist:

o-doubleacute u-abovering e-macron u-tilde o-ogonek l-with-middle-dot
b-with-belowdot.  Oddly, c-caron and g-breve _are_ rendered so it
isn't a straight "only support latin-1" issue.

 If I paste that line from my history into urxvt or libreoffice
writer, it all renders fine.  Changing the VT100*faceName line in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm from Monospace to "DejaVu Sans Mono" and
"FreeMono" did not help.  According to gucharmap, all of those
glyphs are in DejaVu Sans Mono.

 Typing random cyrillic and greek letters also produced empty
squares.

 So, does xterm handle these glyphs in UTF-8 for anyone ?  If so,
what do you have in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm or ~/.Xresources ?
I've got the following relevant items in the environment:
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
XTERM_LOCALE=en_GB.UTF-8
XTERM_VERSION=XTerm(279)

ĸen