[blfs-dev] DejaVu Fonts Instructions

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 7 19:46:05 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 02:48:49AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  Yesterday, I installed the UMing fonts from freedesktop.org - I
> can't see any reason to recommend them, and as someone who isn't
> sensitive to the differences in certain CJK variants I can't even
> _see_ a difference in the variants in these.  BUT, in e.g.
> gucharmap I could select these variant fonts after I installed them,
> ran fc-cache, and restarted the application.  In libreoffice they
> did NOT show up until I went back and followed most of the INSTALL
> instructions [ fc-cache with a couple of switches, and copying the
> .conf files - I didn't mess about with conf.avail/ and conf.d/, so
> far I have all my active fonts in /usr/share/fonts, and any I've
> temporarily removed are elsewhere ], and then started the app.
>
>  So, I _guess_ that .conf files are sometimes important. For DejaVu
> with recent fontconfig, that doesn't seem to be the case.

 For UMing, the problem is the conf files :-(  I've now got it
working properly (i.e. I can see that the four variants are not
identical), by removing the shipped conf files and installing
90-ttf-arphic-uming-embolden.conf and
cjkuni-uming-fonts-fontconfig.conf (no number in this one!) from
fedora cgit master -
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/cjkuni-uming-fonts.git/

 I suppose I now have a magic dragon, living by the sea ;-)

 Also we should probably mention that some fonts, such as this one,
untar into the current directory.

ĸen