[blfs-dev] Question about SANE

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 7 08:56:15 PST 2013

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 02/07/13 10:48 CST:
> Also, the SANE instructions have a note that the user building the package
> should be a member of the scanner group. My tests show that the package is
> installed *exactly the same* if the builder is, or is not, a member of the
> group.
>
> Using the --with-group=scanner is enough to enable locking and the package
> will also then install /var/lock/sane. All files installed are root:root
> permissions, so I do not see where the need to be a member of the scanner
> group is needed to build the package.

Please disregard this. For whatever reason, I missed it the first time around,
but I see now that the locking feature is disabled if you are not a member of
the scanner group. Sorry for the noise.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:55:00 up 63 days, 20:54, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.08