[blfs-dev] Question about SANE

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 7 08:48:27 PST 2013

Hi all,

On 10/30 of last year Bruce updated the SANE package and added the parameter
--disable-latex to the configure command. There is no reason listed in the
Command Explanations why. My tests show that if TeX is installed, the latex
procedure does what it is supposed to. If TeX is not installed, no attempt
at building docs is done.

Can anyone recall this being discussed, or did you have an issue with this,
Bruce?

Also, the SANE instructions have a note that the user building the package
should be a member of the scanner group. My tests show that the package is
installed *exactly the same* if the builder is, or is not, a member of the
group.

Using the --with-group=scanner is enough to enable locking and the package
will also then install /var/lock/sane. All files installed are root:root
permissions, so I do not see where the need to be a member of the scanner
group is needed to build the package.

Again, can anyone recall a discussion about this, or am I just missing
something here?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
10:39:01 up 63 days, 20:38, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00