[blfs-dev] DejaVu Fonts Instructions

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 6 19:36:50 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 09:07:27PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote these words on 02/06/13 20:52 CST:
> >  Do the files from the tarball match what is already installed by
> > fontconfig, or are they different/additional ?
>
> The .conf files in the DejaVu tarball are different than any shipped by
> Fontconfig. In fact, the README (or whatever it is I read in the DejaVu
> tarball) said they are cloned from the Vera fonts (which DejaVu forked).

 Yes, DejaVu is Vera with many additions.  ISTR that Keith Packard
said that Vera had better hinting, but that was several years ago.
I've never noticed the difference, and I've once again dropped Vera
from my own builds.  But I guess that fontconfig probably still
prefers Vera.

 Unfortunately, the magic of how fontconfig works is, for most of
us, just that - magic.

> What that means is uncertain to me, but there are differences in any of
> the files installed by Fontconfig. Thanks for responding, Ken, as I am
> uncertain of the fontconfig/dejavu/whatever font system. I just install
> them and run with it. Tonight is the first time I ever really looked into
> the details of /etc/fonts/conf.d, et al.

 Yeah, I've always gone with what fontconfig did, and been pleased
that things seem to work a lot better now than they did a few years
ago.  A day or two ago I was looking for information on differences
in CJK characters [ wikipedia, Han_unification seems to explain it ]
and found someone complaining that all Keith Packard would say about
how fontconfig chose which font to use for a CJK glyph was
(something like) "it does the right thing".  The complaint was that
it apparently didn't do what this guy wanted.  But my advice about
CJK is "there be dragons" ;-)

ĸen