[blfs-dev] DejaVu Fonts Instructions

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 6 18:52:59 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 08:20:41PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 02/06/13 20:00 CST:
> > Randy McMurchy wrote:
> >> However, the reason I'm asking is that there are .conf files shipped in the
> >> tarball that are designed to be installed in /etc/fonts/conf.d, yet there is
> >> no instruction to install them. Are they required, or do they help fontconfig
> >> in the use of the DejaVu fonts, or can these files be reasonably dismissed?
> >
> > I don't know the answer to your question, but there is
> > /etc/fonts/conf.d/README.  It indicates the .conf files go in
> > conf.avail/ and conf.d/ should have links there.
>
> Which is actually contrary to what Fontconfig does on the initial installation.
> Fontconfig puts the .conf files in /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail (note that
> it is not /etc/fonts/conf.avail, which exists and is populated on my system)
> and then symlinks them in /etc/fonts/conf.d.
>
> Other packages install directly to /etc/fonts/conf.d. Here is what I have now
> in /etc/fonts/conf.d:

 [ snipping the details ]

 Interesting, I hadn't realised that all those symlinks were being
created.  I thought everything just went into /etc/fonts/conf.d.

> Really doesn't matter, but why would the maintainers at DejaVu fonts put
> files into their tarball in the fontconfig directory if they were not meant
> to be installed? I'm more curious than anything.

 Wild guess - for earlier versions of fontconfig ?

 Do the files from the tarball match what is already installed by
fontconfig, or are they different/additional ?

ĸen