[blfs-dev] DejaVu Fonts Instructions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:00:16 PST 2013

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the DejaVu Fonts installation instructions shown on the Xorg configuration
> page, the instructions seem to need an update. First, the fonts are now in a
> subdirectory of the source directory, so the installation of the TTF files
> do not work as shown in the book.
>
> However, the reason I'm asking is that there are .conf files shipped in the
> tarball that are designed to be installed in /etc/fonts/conf.d, yet there is
> no instruction to install them. Are they required, or do they help fontconfig
> in the use of the DejaVu fonts, or can these files be reasonably dismissed?

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is
/etc/fonts/conf.d/README.  It indicates the .conf files go in
conf.avail/ and conf.d/ should have links there.

I have no idea why fontconfig does this.

I do have the dejavu fonts installed in /usr/share/fonts/dejavu, but
nothing about them in /etc/fonts.  AFAICT, they work for me.  They do
show up in seamonkey.

arch does have some explanation at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration#Fontconfig_configuration,
but from that the best I can tell. the .conf files are for tweaks not
built into the .ttf files.