[blfs-dev] Misc cache updates

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 1 14:38:45 PST 2013

Hi all,

I added three new files to the xincludes directory to assist with adding
update-desktop-database and gtk-update-icon-cache commands to packages. As
these commands are not run by default if a package installs hicolor icons
or desktop files, I thought it prudent that we remind readers that running
these programs improves desktop performance.

One file is just for update-desktop-database, one just for gtk-update-icon-cache
and one that updates both. I've updated the following packages as they are
the only ones that I have installed that install icons or desktop files:

   trunk/BOOK/multimedia/audioutils/audacious.xml
   trunk/BOOK/multimedia/videoutils/ffmpeg.xml
   trunk/BOOK/multimedia/videoutils/mplayer.xml
   trunk/BOOK/multimedia/videoutils/xine-ui.xml
   trunk/BOOK/networking/netprogs/wpa_supplicant.xml
   trunk/BOOK/pst/printing/cups.xml
   trunk/BOOK/xsoft/other/gimp.xml

If your logs or memory shows that other packages need this update also,
please jump in and update the files. Simply placing the following two lines
at the end of the installation commands is all that is necessary. Most
packages need to update both the icons and desktop files, but some just do
one of the other:

    <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
      href="../../xincludes/update-icons-and-desktop.xml"/>

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
16:29:00 up 58 days, 2:28, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.04